Friday, February 3, 2012

Cast yer vote.

As 2012 has arrived, we find ourselves in an election season revving up to be a timeless one. I mean, who are we kidding, voting for president in the last year on Earth carries some ominous qualities. Moving on. I came across this photo. Remember when that guy ran for president? Speaking of timeless elections, Perot was the only guy in modern history to be a legitimate third candidate. Twenty years ago he sure gave Bush and Clinton a run for their money. And we all know how history turned out with that one. I bought this t-shirt at a thrift store, don't remember where or when, but obviously a score. I had this t-shirt with me for many years and most of the time I sported it, people would comment. I traveled with it to many places and it was good to me for throughout the years.
*
But why do I have a photo of it? The Perot t-shirt, though a classic, was just sitting in a box in my mom's attic for a while. When I came across it while looking through my things, I decided it was time to get rid of it. I attempted to sell it on eBay, to no avail. Apparently Perot memorabilia isn't that hot of a seller. However, I have a wannabe hipster younger brother, Alex. Alex was clearly the only worthy recipient of this fine piece of vintage election apparel. I had no doubts that he wanted the shirt. Ecstatic and nearly moved to tear, Alex received the shirt. Before parting ways with Perot after a long and beautiful relationship, I snapped this photo so that as my brain ages I can remember it like it was yesterday.

1 comment:

  1. I remember this election so well!! I voted for the guy! Seemed like a good choice at the time. Thanks for resurrecting some great memories. There were some terrific "Perot" impressions and skits on SNL during those months leading up to the election. (I'm sure that they are all on YouTube.)

    ReplyDelete