Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Doe dee oh.

I have an issue.  It's not a serious issue, but I'm certainly trying to make it one with my utter and complete abandon of anything resembling control.  My not-so-serious issue is that I cannot control myself with uncooked cookies, aka cookie dough.

To be honest, it's all things that resemble dough or batter, not just that of the cookie.  I remember even as a child how I felt about the way any and all of it felt and tasted in my mouth, creating some kind of uncooked ecstasy that sweetly melted away leaving want for more!  I loved when we were given a spoonful of cookie dough, or a small piece of the homemade bread dough that my mom made.  I even remember when Ben and Jerry came out with cookie dough ice cream and I ached for it!  Cookie dough and ice cream together?  I must already be dead, cause this is heaven.

However, over the past few years, the better part of my thirties, my dough and batter obsession has exponentially increased.  Perhaps it's aging, perhaps it's now that I'm not a kid I can eat as much as I want, or perhaps it's that it's just so freaking good that I want to eat as much as I can before I die.  There's actually times where it's as though I was trying to kill myself with a dough overdose.  Seriously, it's gotten that out of hand on occasion.  I can't stop myself.  I'll get sick and stay that way cause it doesn't mean I've stopped eating dough.  And if it's frozen cookie dough balls, forget it, my stomach will hurt that night guaranteed.  

I wish I could identify exactly what it is about dough that I cannot control.  But after all these years of eating it, I still can't figure it out, so I'll keep eating it in hopes of reaching some kind of enlightenment through dough.  As ridiculous as this all sounds, it's not like I'm really eating the stuff daily.  I'll go on few days binge every month or so, then I have to call it off.  My tummy will ache and it's just not worth it; I can't live like that all the time.  Even the fancy, and insanely delicious, vegan and gluten free stuff I discovered still turns my belly upside down if I go too overboard.

It's ooey, it's gooey.  It's sweet, and somewhat naughty.  It often includes chocolate.  It's easy to make, or readily available 24 hours a day in a store.  This is my ode to the doe dee oh.    

    

2 comments:

  1. It hurts my stomach just reading this Sarah... I think I'm going to contract Madison to discover a doughy treat made entirely out of lettuce greens and celery..

    Love you!
    N-diggity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll never quit doe dee oh for lettuce greens and celery.

      Delete