Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Dreamer's disease.

I've got an incurable illness, the dreamer's disease.  Every day my mind takes a trip somewhere, or I dream about getting $100 tips from every client, or I live a fantasy relationship with a wonderful man(we never have babies).  What can I say, I've got a really creative imagination.  The amazing thing is that a lot of my dreams have actually come true, perhaps some sort of manifestation from my mind into reality coupled with a fierce commitment to achieve all my desires.  And what else is reality except what we create it to be?

It's been about three months since I've taken a trip anywhere, which honestly feels like eternity to this traveler.  I'm really enjoying what I've got going in here in Denver right now and I know with all my heart that this is where I am supposed to be.  But my dreamer's disease hasn't been medicated lately with the purchase of a plane ticket or a request for time off at work, so I'm feeling particularly "ill".  Will I just up and take off?  Likely no, the lack of money from living my other dreams this year will continue to prevent me from going anywhere any time soon(so worth it).    

It's not that I'm especially bored with my day to day reality.  I have just become very accustomed to always having something different to look forward to, usually somewhere I'm going.  However, I'm quite grateful for these times in my life where I'm "forced" to stay put.  It's during these times that I am able to reflect on all the marvelous experiences I have had in my life as a result of being a restless dreamer.  I often find myself totally in awe of the web I have woven through the years, the world over, and to see how perhaps something that happened ten years ago still affects my life today. 

Likely the greatest blessing of my disease is when I get to really engage with someone and tell tales of my travels; to see the look on a stranger's face when they meet someone like me who has worked for and fought for and done what I dream instead of just talking about it, that moment is priceless.  I have seen eyes light up and I have seen the wheels turning when people realize that yes, it can be done, dreams do come true.  That to me is a fantastic reward. 

So while I am on my old stomping grounds of Denver and it seems as though time is standing still, I realize that I am living yet another dream I've had: to feel totally content in one place without the urge to get up and go.  Who knows how long it will last really, but that's not the point.  The point is that staying still allows me to dream with the most clarity and to create things that no trip around the world could ever do.  

"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney       

No comments:

Post a Comment